Sunday, October 08, 2006

Gripping Read: THE WASP FACTORY by Iain Banks








I was thinking about the books I’ve loved over the years and then I thought - I wish someone would just give me a library or I could order from Amazon for free - it’s not going to happen, but that’s what I’d like. There are too many to remember. Half of the ones I bought, I've either lent out and not seen back - which I really don’t mind - or lost moving, or they’re somewhere, but I don’t know where.

Here’s one that came to mind - THE WASP FACTORY by Iain Banks. I must have read this years ago, but I still remember being thrilled by it. It’s another dark and sinister one and truly brilliant. It was Iain Bank’s first novel back in 1984. A few years on - I can't recall exactly when - The Independent had it down as one of its top one hundred books this century. I'd be hard pushed to disagree.

THE WASP FACTORY is about sixteen-year-old Frank, who lives an unconventional life with his eccentric father outside a remote Scottish village. His mother left them years ago, his brother is locked up in psychiatric hospital and Frank’s behavior is more than a little peculiar. Now I remember what got me hooked, but I won’t tell you. Suffice to say it’s a gripping read, especially when his brother escapes from the loony bin, but I’ll leave that bit out for now.

Here's what other readers thought of THE WASP FACTORY over at Amazon.

Want to read on? Try Iain Banks: An Interview with Spike Magazine

There's some great author info at Contemporary Writers or check out his website: Iain Banks.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home