Wednesday, September 27, 2006

Pitching Editors by Phone? That's Right.

So, what's the best way to pitch a news or feature idea to an editor you have never spoken with before? Here is an example of what you could try. It's may sound obvious, but believe me - it works.

"Hello can I speak to John Commission, please?
"Thanks.
"Is that John Commission?"
"Yes."
"Hi, my name is Mabel Freelance (Do not pause) I used to work/I write for (Mention the best publication you have worked or you write for - just one, that's all you need. Sound casual - you have been doing this for years) I haven't written for you before, but I've got this great story and I wanted to offer it to you first. (Do not pause - believe me - keep with it) It's about (Keep it casual and hit him with soundbites) women who eat their placentas OR it's about a lottery winning teenage dad who dumps his baby OR I've got an exclusive chat with Paul McCartney. (Get the picture?)

(The offering it to him first works a treat and it's funny how quickly he'll forget that he doesn't know you and that's when you'll get that extra second to tell him your great idea.)

There are two ways this can go. 1) He says."Great." You're in. 2) He says." Sorry, not for me."
If he's interested - well done! If it's not for him, keep calm and be persistent. Retain a casual tone and say.

"That's fine, I just thought I'd offer it to you first. (No pause) "I'd like to email you some more ideas, what's the best email to send them to?"

You can't fail. If you slow down at any point, you will be off the phone quicker than a kid on water slide. It's all in the voice, keep it calm, lower the tone, sound casual and keep talking. Do not shout at them or giggle - just keep going. Do not be tempted to offer more than one idea at this point - there's time for that later.

Please think about using the phone to pitch ideas, especially if you are querying editors in the UK. Most good newspaper and magazine editors will listen to you, after all, your call might be tomorrow's big scoop. They won't want to miss out. You'd be surprised how many writers stick to email pitches and we all know how easy it is to delete or ignore them.

Train your new contacts. Show them that you can be brief and to the point in minutes. They won't mind at all and in lots of cases - you'll get that commission. Bravery is rewarded!

The worst that can happen is that you come away with an email address and a contact. So even if it feels like your first idea was rejected, it's not the end of the world - you have more - right?

Believe me - this does work. Do have a go and let me know how you get on. Remember to do your research before you call and make sure your idea matches the publication you are targeting.

Good luck and keep up the hard work!

More on Pitching: Pitching Newspaper and Magazine Editors – The Difference Between the US and UK Market and Why It's Not All About the Pitch!



4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, haven't I seen this post somewhere before?

I surfed in off the mediabistro site. Good luck with your blogging enterprise. I've found it difficult to regularly update mine but, as a freelancer, I guess that's a good sign.

9:46 PM  
Blogger The Squeaking Noodle said...

Hi Mick,
It's a popular subject.
Thanks for stopping by. Very good sign that you have little time to update your site.
All the best,

9:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Greetings! I linked to your site from Claire Zulkey's MB Toolbox. Really enjoying the sight (have read everything you've posted thus far), but have a question about telephone calls to editors. The editors I've dealt with in the U.S. all hate telephone calls and prefer to deal with queries by email. Have you encounted this difference in U.S. and U.K. attitudes with regard to how to contact?

9:54 PM  
Blogger The Squeaking Noodle said...

Dear Kate,
Thanks for taking the time to post a comment.I would be happy to shed some light on this. I am going to include your excellent question on the main page.
All the best.
See you soon.

10:51 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home